Friday, May 12, 2006

The king of pain

So now I have that 2006 Langster, since a couple of days. I had read so many things about single speed bikes (both the hype and also the pain) that I was expecting the WORST! Like I'd be unable to move my legs at all, and likely bleed through all my openings.

It's not that bad at all, the 48T/16T combination is pretty forgiving in fact.... Of course since it's mounted as a freewheel that's okay, I still can coast a bit and breathe at the top of my hills. This will change when I'll add a fixed gear on that same hub (note it accepts both, you just flip the wheel - how convenient).

Overall feeling on this bike is great, light, good traction, fast . Great looks too. It's a really sexy bike, as simple and raw as it gets. "Why did you buy a single speed?" is the main question that I'll have to hear over and over again.

Brakes are definitely not the greatest, the handlebar is a bit too far for me (unless I slide the saddle a bit backwards, didn't try yet) and the braking from the bottom section of the handlebar is really low - a lot of bent. I am glad I could try that size (a 56) before purchase, which is definitly the way to go. I changed the pedals for some SPD 545 (paltform SPDs) which look great; never clipped in yet.

Langster upgrades? Besides the fixed gear that I'll add sometimes soon, I don't know yet. I read in the press that the handlebar, seatpost, saddle, rims needed to be changed. I'll see; nothing really seems bad. I don't know about that stock Sugino crankset. I think it's fine.

Oh - almost forgot: good news is, all components are bolted, so this beauty won't get a lot of attentions from bike robbers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home